#HABS ‘BACK OF THE BUS’: BERGEVIN
Montreal Canadiens’ General Manager Marc Bergevin says the Canadiens are at “the back of the bus” as a result of where they sit heading into the NHL Entry Draft June 30 in New Jersey.
At least where the first round is concerned.
Bergevin took time out of today’s news conference at the Bell Centre, held to announce Montreal’s role in the 2015 and 2017 World Junior Hockey Championships, to look ahead to the entry draft.
“We’re in a different position than we were in last year, when we had the third pick overall,” said Bergevin.
“When you’re at 25, you’re sitting in the back of the bus. Obviously, we had a good year, which is why we’re so far back. We’re happy being there, but that said, you don’t get the top players as when you have the third overall pick.”
Is there any chance Bergevin will try to get a seat at the “front of the bus?”
“We always try to see if there are seats available,” said the Habs’ GM with a grin.
Bergevin went on to say that defenceman Alexei Emelin is rehabbing in Montreal and is still on schedule for a return from knee surgery sometime in December.
Listen in as Bergevin fielded questions from reporters about the NHL Entry Draft, and today’s World Junior Hockey announcement, which will see Montreal and Toronto play joint hosts to the 2015 and 2017 championships, with the Bell Centre home to the medal round in 2017.